Friday, September 18, 2009

Listening to DPR: David Braman

The first song I listened to was by the group Emogo Moody, singing "Spanish Gypsy's." This song was fun and energetic sounding. The main instruments I heard were the violin and a ukulele playing. These were the only two that stuck out in this song. The next song was by William Sincock. The piece was called "Contours." I found in this song consisted mainly of instruments from the viol family. There were violins, cello and also what sounded like viola's. The other cordophones in this song were the bass and piano. The part of this song that I felt added texture was when they plucked the strings on the violin in the song, which was quite often. Next was a song that had a really interesting story to it. The peice, "Francesa Da Rimini", was written by Peter Chiykowski. This story/song is about two people who are madly in love with one another, but the woman is in love with her husbands brother. The two have an affair which ends up getting them sent to hell. The song is the couple's journey through hell and the nine circles of suffering. There were many instruments in this song, but the cordophones I noticed in it were mainly the bass, violin and the piano. Although it is not a cordophone the flute was used in this song quite often to add light to the story or song. The last piece I listened to was done by Leonard Bernstain, the piece is called "The New York Phil Harmonic." In this piece, just like the others, there was a lot of piano and violin. The violin in this song was very fast and it played with the flute throughout a lot of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment