Thursday, October 1, 2009

Aerophones

I listened to an hour of WGUC and found that unless the piece is performed by a soloist, there will more times than not be an abundance of aerophones playing. The first piece I listened to was written by Charles Gounod,Petite Symphony. The piece started with clarinets, french horns and what sounded like a bassoon. It was a very cheerful song that had flutes all throughout it to make it even more lighter. The one part of this song sounded like the flutes and piccolo's where playing back and forth with the clarinets. The next piece I listened to, Maskarade Overture, was written by Carl Nielsen and performed by Swedish Radio Symphony. It started out with a lot of french horn and then eased into flutes playing. Throughout the entire song there were flutes and oboe's playing together with the clarinets. The brass, that played separate from the woodwinds, were; trumpets, trombone and what sounded like a tuba. The ending of this song was very strong sounding with all of the brass taking a crescendo to forte. The next piece I listened to did not have a whole lot of airophones in it. It consisted of mainly piano and violin.
Capriccio Brillant, written by Felix Mendelssohn, was played by the New York Philharmonic. As mentioned before, this song mainly consisted of the piano soloist. The next peice was Horn Concerto, arr. for flugelhorn, composed by Reinhold Gliere. This peice had a soloist, Sergei Nakariakov, playing the fulgelhorn. I found that the flugalhorn actually means horn with wings. Needless to say this song consisted of a lot of flugelhorn in it. Other than the flugelhorn the other main aerophone was the flute.

No comments:

Post a Comment